Bear With Me (While I Tell You About…): 489
Elder Isolation in the LGBTQ Community – Concerns. Risks. Solutions.
Thursday, February 27 • 6-9pm
The Center for Changing Lives • 2400 Park Ave. S., Minneapolis
Seniors in the LGBTQ community face a far greater risk of isolation, discrimination, and abuse than other members of their generation. According to the 2012 Twin Cities LGBT Aging Needs Assessment Survey Report, they are more likely to live alone and less likely to have children to look after them as they age. LGBT elders are less likely to have a caregiver – yet ironically, are likely to be caregivers themselves. Even in our enlightened society, all too many die alone, forgoing medical care in order to avoid humiliation and abuse. Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly, in partnership with Prime Timers MSP, present a forum to raise awareness and explore solutions to the risks of elder isolation in the LGBTQ community.
6pm: Showing of the award-winning documentary, Gen Silent
7-9pm: Panel and discussion featuring:
• Paul Bloom, Owner and CEO, Right at Home, Bloomington
• Cathy Croghan, MPH, RN, co-author 2012 Twin Cities LGBT Aging Needs Assessment Survey
• Jay Haapala, Associate State Director-Community Outreach, AARP Minnesota
• Tara Patet, Sr. Prosecutor, St. Paul City Attorney’s Office
• Julie Switzer, MD, Director of Geriatric Orthopedic Trauma, Regions Hospital
FREE admission and refreshments will be served. RSVP today: [email protected] or 612-746-0726.
Wilde Roast Café’s 10th Anniversary Celebration
Wilde Roast Café * 65 Main St. SE, Minneapolis
The Wilde Roast Cafe has been serving up great drinks and food to their neighbors in NE Minneapolis and across the Twin Cities for the last ten years. To celebrate their 10-year anniversary this March, they’ve announced a grand celebration party, writing contest, prizes, giveaways, and special offers.
The highlight of their celebration is a 10th Anniversary Party on Thursday, March 6, 2014 from 8-10pm. The event will feature musical entertainment by local cabaret artist Erin Schwab with Jay Fuchs, a special menu with some of their most popular items, and guests will get a free glass of Wilde Punch.
Each day from March 1-10, customers can stop in to the Wilde Roast Cafe and celebrate their anniversary with:
- Free giveaways from 7-9am, 3-5pm and 9-11pm that include free coffee, gelato, and muffins (while supplies last).
- Scratch-off cards with a grand prize of a $250 Wilde Roast Cafe gift card, plus 50% off and buy one get one free deals, free coffee, and other exciting prizes (while supplies last).
- 10 Belly Points per visit, which is twice the points of their normal rewards program.
- Back for a limited time: Trinity College Tuna Melt and their fantastic Tuna Salad.
Also on the schedule:
- March 17th (St. Patrick’s Day): in honor of Oscar Wilde’s Irish heritage, they’ll be serving up a delicious Guinness Pie.
- The Wilde Roast Writing Contest: Share your Wilde Roast Cafe story – a memorable moment at the cafe, a great date, inspiration that struck over a latte… and win a $500 Wilde Roast Cafe Party! It can be an essay, poem, or whatever format you’d like. Email your story to [email protected] with the subject line “My WRC Story”. Entries will be posted on their Facebook page, and voted on by friends of the Wilde Roast Cafe. Stories are due March 1, 2014.
- For more information, visit www.wilderoastcafe.com.
(include photo of Tom & Dean)
Mad for Plaid Bowling
Sunday, March 2 • 1:45-4pm
Park Tavern • 3401 Louisiana Ave. S., St. Louis Park
Join Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Twin Cities for this fun annual event wearing your favorite plaid attire while bowling for equality! Registration includes 2 hours of bowling, shoe rental and a HRC membership (normally $35)! Troll those closets or a thrift shop and wear your best plaid. Find your 70s polyester, 90s grunge, or your latest hipster outfit. Search “Twin Cities Mad for Plaid Bowling” on Facebook for more info and tickets.
[If there’s extra room, add this event.]
Stillwater Home & Garden Show
Saturday, March 1 • 10am-3pm
Rutherford Elementary School • 115 Rutherford Rd., Stillwater
For the person who loves remodeling, gardening, do-it-yourself projects, it’s a great weekend for you. Not only is the Minneapolis Home & Garden Show going on February 26 – March 2, but you can also head to the east metro on March 1 for the Stillwater Home & Garden Show. The event includes more than 80 local exhibitors, helpful seminars, kid’s educational activities, drawings, giveaways, and prizes. It’s another great opportunity to experience what’s new for your home and garden in 2014. Visit www.stillwaterhomeshow.com for more information.