United Colors of Leather” is the theme of Minnesota Leather Pride (MLP) 2009. A packed schedule of events starts June 13, and continues up to the Twin Cities GLBT Pride Festival on June 27 and 28.
The 2009 collectible “United Colors of Leather” MLP dog tag gets you discounts at some of this year’s MLP events. Buy yours for $5 (until June 26) at participating businesses, listed at www.MNLeatherPride.org. Or, purchase your dog tag from members of the MLP Committee at upcoming club meetings and munches, as well as at all 2009 MLP events. After June 26, dog tags will be available for $7 at the MLP booth in Loring Park during the Pride Festival—if they haven’t sold out by then.
Organizational sponsors for this year’s MLP celebration are The Atons of Minneapolis, Confidential Croquet Club, D/s Minnesota, Knights of Leather, Masters And slaves Together (MAsT)-Twin Cities, Minnesota Kinky Youth (MinKY), Minnesota Storm Patrol, Minnesota Power Exchange (MPX), Minnesota Stocks, Debentures & Bonds (MSDB), People Exchanging Power Respectfully in Minnesota Together (PEPRMNT), and Tremendously Intense Erotic Situations (TIES).
Information listed below is subject to change, and at my early deadline for this column, some details were still pending. See “Bar Advertiser Guide-Twin Cities” for bar addresses, phone numbers, and Web sites. For complete and updated event information, visit www.MNLeatherPride.org.
Saturday, June 13
• Minnesota Storm Patrol Beer Bust. 5-8 PM. Minneapolis Eagle.
• The Atons Leather/Levi Dinner. 6:30 PM. The Strip Club, 378 Maria Ave., St. Paul. Reservations strongly encouraged: Do so at www.eventbrite.com—search for “Atons”—or find a link at www.atons.net.
Thursday, June 18
• PEPRMNT Munch/Discussion. 6:30-9 PM. Grumpy’s Bar & Grill, 2801 N. Snelling Ave., Roseville. Dinner 6:30 PM (order off the menu), followed by spirited discussion 8-9 PM (topic to be announced).
Friday, June 19
• Leather Titles Workshop. Location and time pending at press time. Are you interested in competing for the soon-to-be-revived Mr. or Ms. Minnesota Leather title, or another leather/fetish title? Maybe you’re just curious about the world of leather contests, titles, and sashes. Several current and former titleholders, and even a few contest judges, will be at the workshop to explain what’s involved in competing in a leather contest, and holding a leather title.
Sunday, June 21
• Workshop: “Black and Blue and Red All Over” (spanking and impact play). 1-3 PM. Patrick’s Cabaret, 3010 Minnehaha Ave. S., Mpls. Admission charge at door, discount with 2009 MLP dog tag.
Monday, June 22
• 2nd Annual BDSM Creative Collective 2009 Anthology of Poetry, Art, and Short Fiction. 7 PM. The Smitten Kitten, 3010 Lyndale Ave. S., Mpls. Reading and art show. Free admission.
Thursday, June 25
• Smoke Out: Cigar/Pipe Social. 9 PM-Midnight. Bolt/Minneapolis Eagle. Free admission.
Friday, June 26
• Floggapalooza. 8 PM. Bolt/Minneapolis Eagle. It has become a tradition. Free admission.
Saturday, June 27
• GLBT Pride Festival. 10 AM-6 PM. Also Sun., June 28, 10 AM-6 PM. Loring Park, Mpls. Visit or hang out at the MLP booth. Free admission.
Sunday, June 28
• Rainbow Flag Decommissioning/Initiation Ceremony. Time pending at press time. Parade Grandstand, 8th St. and Hennepin Ave., Mpls. Not strictly a leather event—but if you saw (or participated in) last year’s Leather Pride flag decommissioning/initiation ceremony, you’ll want to see this year’s ceremony for the old and new rainbow flags for the overall Pride Festival.
• Pride Parade. Gather at 3rd St. and Hennepin Ave., starting at 10:30 AM (or after the Rainbow Flag ceremony)—parade steps off at 11 AM. Help carry the giant Leather Pride flag up Hennepin Avenue and to Loring Park. Then, spend the day at the Pride Festival in Loring Park, and be sure to drop by the MLP booth.
MinKY Munch. Details pending at press time.
During Pride Weekend, Bolt/ Minneapolis Eagle will be presenting Scorch FireBall X.
• Ignition. Fri., June 26. Parking lot opens Friday afternoon, and stays open all weekend until closing time Sun. night. Fri. evening, experience Floggapalooza in Bolt Underground (see above).
• Blaze. Sat., June 27. Colt models, live and in person Saturday evening, turn up the heat.
• Afterburn. Sun., June 28. Live music by Boogie Wonderland in Bolt Underground.
For more information, visit www.MinneapolisEagle.com.